The CBI is the UK’s most effective and influential business membership organisation. We provide our members with the influence, insight and access they need to plan ahead with confidence and grow. We represent their views as we work with policymakers to deliver a healthy environment for businesses to succeed, create jobs and ultimately, drive economic growth and prosperity.
Within the CBI’s London & South membership team there is an exciting opportunity to join a group tasked with driving the ambitious plans of the business. It will be your job to help grow and deepen our membership base by managing some external relationships and attracting new members.
The Account Executive will be responsible for managing up to 40 small and medium sized CBI member relationships across London, Thames Valley and the South East. You will liaise daily with policy, campaigns, products and events teams for up to date product information; build external relationships with members and recruit new members of your own.
Managing CBI member relationships
- Maintaining and deepening relationships with small and medium-sized business members in London, Thames Valley and the South East, ensuring they are kept informed of regional and national opportunities to shape CBI and government policy and participate in CBI activities.
- Driving increased membership retention and satisfaction by delivering a compelling and efficient membership offer based on policy, networking and intelligence.
- Increasing the value of the portfolio with a strong focus on the delivery of account management protocols.
- Maintaining accurate records by tracking activity on the CRM system and ensuring relevant information is shared with the appropriate stakeholders.
Recruiting new members to the CBI
- Contributing towards the London & South team’s overall volume and value targets by bringing small and medium sized businesses into membership and managing the sales process from approach to close.
- Developing suitable bid materials for individual companies including letters, briefings and proposals.
- Supporting the CBI’s products and services team to package CBI’s policy intelligence and events into a commercial offer for business.
- Monitoring regional and national press, newsfeeds and intelligence to identify new recruitment opportunities.
Supporting the ambitions of small and medium-sized businesses
- Working with policy and campaigns teams to commercialise the CBI’s intelligence and insight to meet the needs of small and medium-sized businesses.
- Working with the events team to support the delivery events such as the MSB Summit and MSB-Club programme in London, Thames Valley and the South East
- Building internal profile as the CBI lead for medium-sized businesses across the organisation.
- Helping to coordinate overall CBI communication with small and medium-sized businesses.
- Working with the wider organisation to share best practice on engaging with small and medium-sized businesses.
Knowledge & Experience
What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Knowledge of and interest in business affairs, national and regional policy.
- Experience working with external stakeholders, preferably senior stakeholders.
- Experience of writing sales or commercial documents.
- Educated to degree-level or equivalent.
The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Interpersonal – interpersonal and networking skills, comfortable dealing with senior members of organisations.
- Strategic and business thinking – ability to understand business strategy and how the current political and economic environment can either support or undermine a company’s business objectives; Ability to be think laterally and solve problems.
- Research and using information – Commercial focus; Strong aptitude in the use of Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Communication – Ability to collate information from multiple sources and contexts into concise structured documents; Exceptional attention to detail.
- Planning and organisation – Self-motivated and focused on delivery and results; Good organisational and team working skills; Ability to work under pressure/meet tight deadlines.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; working closely with colleagues across the organisation to support the delivery of the small and medium-sized business offer.
- Taking ownership – Resourceful, organised and plans effectively; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy; Positive and constructive.
- Agile – Proactive and flexible in addressing member needs; responding positively to shifting priorities; reacts quickly to changes in the external environment.
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business environment and how it supports the medium-sized business offer; prioritises revenue generating activity whilst delivering exceptional service.
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”.
- Analytical – Gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk, make decisions and for reporting purposes; ensures data is accessible and up to date.
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can. We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to apply
Please submit your applications to email@example.com with 'Account Executive, London & South' as the subject.