Based at our Cannon Place office, this role will provide management to the CBI’s events team. The team sits within the commercial directorate and is responsible for the CBI’s national and regional events programme, including the CBI’s flagship Annual Conference.
Reporting into the Commercial Director, the Head of Events will be responsible for delivering a coordinated, consistent and high quality national and regional events programme that enhances CBI membership, provides valuable engagement opportunities to the business community, and delivers significant revenue to the CBI.
The individual will lead a team based in London and across the regional network that will work closely with colleagues from across the whole organisation to deliver the CBI events programme and will be responsible for delivering around £850k of delegate income and working in close collaboration with the CBI’s Head of Commercial Partnerships to deliver around £1.15m of events sponsorship in 2019.
- Take ownership for the design and successful delivery of the CBI events programme.
- Work with the Commercial Director to set the vision and strategy for the team identifying new event opportunities and continually assessing the member offer to ensure its delivers value.
- Manage the events team to ensure that it meets all its financial targets and delivers an imaginative, well targeted programme of networking and business events across the UK.
- Oversee the delivery of the events programme at a local level, ensuring consistency across the country.
- Manage the team to deliver all events, including the flagship Annual Conference and Annual Dinner series, ensuring the events deliver exceptional brand positioning opportunities for CBI as well as significant media and commercial value.
- Provide well researched, professional advice on all aspects of events to the team and wider organisation.
- Continuously re-fresh a successful portfolio of corporate event models for deployment at national and regional levels.
- Identify and develop appropriate new opportunities at events for the CBI maximising the strength of its brand and the potential of all of its external communications channels.
- Ensure a very high level of customer satisfaction is maintained and exceeded to all stakeholders, including delegates and sponsors.
- Ensure that every timetabled event has an 'Event Plan’ containing a critical path with clear milestones, budget targets, delegate targets and a well-targeted marketing strategy.
- Working with other teams and senior managers, develop and enhance relations with sponsor stakeholders, external suppliers, venues, competitor and other organisations, ensuring that we keep up with competitor offerings.
- Work closely with the Head of Commercial Partnerships and the rest of the sponsorship team to deliver sponsor value and grow the revenue, providing strategic input and championing a commercial focus amongst your team.
- Oversee, manage and deliver a budget of almost £2m income.
- Work closely with Head of Marketing Operations to ensure brand consistency across the events programme.
- Manage a team of 12 including event management specialists based at Cannon Place and across the CBI regional network.
- Coach and mentor direct reports focusing on development and high performance.
- Maintain a clear understanding of the CBI’s Business Plan and how the prevailing political and economic climate both nationally and internationally are impacting on the organisations ability to deliver for members.
- Take a data-driven approach to decision making.
- Represent the CBI in external meetings with senior executives from other companies.
Knowledge & Experience:
- What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Experience of designing and delivering national and regional events programmesFirst rate project management experience.
- Strong understanding of budgets and financial controls.
- Commercial flair with ability to spot and capitalise on profitable opportunities.
- Knowledge and interest of business, political and policy environment.
- An understanding of how business works and impacts of the political and policy agenda.
- Strong understanding of marketing and sponsorship and events role within the marketing mix.
- The practical actions required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements.
- Excellent people management skills, leading a team, setting clear objectives and managing performance.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, able to communicate in an engaging way with account managers and members.
- Proven project management skills to deliver projects and programmes on time and on budget.
- Ability to manage departmental budgets.
- Interpersonal and networking skills, comfortable dealing with senior members of the organisation.
- Ability to understand business strategy and how the current political and economic environment can either support or undermine a company’s business objectives.
- Creative and imaginative approach to problem solving.
- Ability to lead and influence at all levels in a complex stakeholder environments.
- Tenacious, determined and realistic.
- A client/member first focused approach.
The CBI has six key behaviours that are expected across the business. For this role, we would expect the individual to role model these behaviours to the team and encourage and review the team using the behaviours as a lens. In practice for this role:
- Collaborative – proactively engages with and researches the views of other teams before making key decisions on the programme.
- Takes ownership – takes responsibility for successful set-up and delivery of new products, meeting customer expectations and financial targets.
- Agile – is quick to respond to market opportunities. Ensures that internal processes do not get in the way of you or the team delivering against plans or for the customer.
- Commercial – actively seeks to ensure the team is doing all they can to contribute to the commercial strategy including taking a lead on new opportunities.
- Innovative – brings in leading edge industry thinking to advance the team’s contribution to the CBI. Not afraid to do things differently where there are opportunities to deliver better for internal and external customers.
- Analytical – uses KPIs and other evidence to drive decision making.
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can. We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to apply:
Please submit your applications to email@example.com with 'Head of Events' as the subject.