Based at our regional office in Belfast, the Regional Communications Officer will report to the Regional Director and the CBI’s Head of News as part of a close-knit press & digital team in a busy and exciting press office. This role is for a digitally-savvy Communications / Public Relations professional, who will provide support to deliver the full spectrum of the CBI’s media activity, across all platforms, including on new and existing digital channels.
- Writing and advising on press releases, blogs, articles, statements, first-person pieces, tweets and CBI materials for publication in the media, on the CBI website and across social media (Linkedin etc)
- Providing media advice to corporate project teams
- Handling day to day media enquiries, including arranging TV, radio and print interviews, and briefing journalists on CBI policies and related issues
- Organising press conferences, photo calls, media roundtables, including with member companies, plus arranging ad hoc media events
- Arranging a media interviews for CBI staff and members, preparing relevant briefing materials and ensuring they are fully briefed
- Working to create opportunities in the regional media, for placed articles and features, including for broadcasters
- Attending and providing media support for regional CBI events
- Providing media support to staff
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, - CBI members, sponsors and government departments etc
- Using existing social media channels including Twitter and LinkedIn and exploiting new digital channels to ensure CBI messages reach a wide audience of key stakeholders
- Monitoring responses and engaging with stakeholders on social media and using feedback to inform future social media communications
- Coming up with suggestions for innovative ways to use existing channels; exploring other channels that will enable the CBI to better communicate with its audiences
- Creating social media strategies, in co-operation with Head Quarters in Cannon Place London to support the release of major CBI publications and to accompany high-profile CBI events
- Keeping on top of new developments in digital PR to help feed into the CBI digital strategy.
The Corporate Communications team sits within the wider Corporate Communications Directorate, consisting of the Business Development, Marketing & Publications, Events & Conferences and Press & Website team.
Knowledge & Experience
- What an individual must know or understand to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- Proven experience in media relations, external communications, journalism or public affairs
- Experience of writing press releases
- Proven knowledge of national, regional, trade and digital/social media
- Knowledge and understanding of current affairs/business, economic and political environment/experience of Whitehall
- Clear evidence of how this knowledge was acquired and put to practical use.
The behaviours and characteristics required to be able to fulfil the role’s requirements
- Collaborative – Listening, seeking views and sharing information; constructively challenging when appropriate
- Taking ownership – Ensuring delivery and holding others to account; can influence, irrespective of hierarchy
- Agile – Proactive and responsive to provide a strong member service; responding positively to shifting priorities
- Commercial – Awareness of the wider business and policy environment
- Innovative – Exploring, sharing and integrating best practice; generating new ideas and challenging a mind-set of “what we’ve always done”
- Analytical – gathering information and using logic to analyse, problem solve, evaluate risk and make decisions
At the CBI we recognise the advantages that flexible working patterns can bring. We’ll always fully consider flexible working and we will aim to facilitate different patterns of work wherever we can.
We have great I.T. support which allows our people to work from a variety of locations, and we aim to strike the right balance between work and life.
How to Apply
For all applications please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is Wednesday 17th October.